The Movement (NBM) as we know is an ideology based movement that encourages brotherhood, a movement that strives to eliminate all forms of inequality and societal ills against the black race and humanity in general. There is a saying that “where there is injustice, the Axeman cries and it is echoed by all other Axemen that hears that cries”!
Being an Axeman is a call to duty.. A duty to be the voice for the voiceless and fight against all forms of oppression, a vanguard of justice, truth and all that is good.
The Axeman is an embodiment of a true African that understands and knows where we are coming from as Black men of African descent and the sacrifices that have been made by our heroes past for us to be where we are today.
An Axeman, understands why he has been renamed and bears a new name after induction as a member of NBM worldwide. A new name given with the prayer that the same spirit that quickened that man (Hero you were named after) to do great exploits for the black race and humanity will also quicken us to do great exploits and deeds for the betterment of the black race and humanity in general in our time!
An Axeman can be likened to a knight that once crested, a new level of responsibility is placed on your shoulders. A greater responsibility to the society and humanity in general.
A responsibility not limited to the following good deeds:
* To protect the weak and defenceless
* To give succour to widows and orphans
* To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
* To live by honour and for glory
* To despise pecuniary reward
* To fight for the welfare of all
* To obey those placed in authority
* To guard the honour of fellow Axemen
* To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
* To keep faith
* At all times to speak the truth
* To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
* To respect the honour of women and children
* To obey the law of the land which you reside
(Adapted from the Knights code)
Let’s take a good look in the mirror and if these attributes highlighted above are lacking in our lives; thus, we need to readjust and make amends to live as true Axemen that we are called!
DISCLAIMER:Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ABN TV