Connect with us
DOWNLOAD THE ABNTV NEWS MOBILE APP
Now Available On:

Crime

Corruption: CJN, NBA agree, arrested judges barred from sitting

Published

on

A Thursday closed-door meeting between the leadership of the Bench and Bar agreed on serving judges arrested by the Department of Security Services (DSS) for alleged corruption being recused from cases, pending the outcome of the ongoing probe and planned prosecution.

The serving judges include Justices Inyang Okoro and Sylvester Ngwuta of the Supreme Court and Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Federal High Court and Justice M.A Pindiga of the Gombe High Court.

Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), until Thursday’s meeting, had canvassed the suspension of the affected serving judges, but the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, led the National Judicial Council (NJC) to mount a serious challenge to NBA’s position, citing the unconstitutionality of sanctioning the judges without the due process of law.

The public disagreement led the Body of Senior Advocates working out the truce meeting of Thursday.
A senior source present at the meeting told the our reporter that though the two parties did not agree on specific decisions, the NBA team, led by its president, A.B Mahmood, was satisfied with the announcement by the CJN that the affected apex court justices had neither sat nor put on any panel since their arrest and release on bail.

Recall The exclusively reported that their names were even taken off the panels they were on before their arrest.

“The CJN pointed out that his leadership needed no advice from anywhere to recuse them from cases, including the ones they were participating in before the incident,” the source noted.

Mahmood and his team were said to have expressed their satisfaction with the development at the apex court, noting that the rescuing was in tandem with their call that the judges had to stop sitting on cases, because of the way the public would perceive it.

Our reporter was told that the meeting opened with Mahmood explaining his new position on the matter, after initially joining other NJC members to condemn the invasion of the judges’ residence.

The attendee source stated that Mahmood further told the other party that the Bar did not do a volte-face as being suggested, but simply trying to ensure that the confidence of the citizenry in the judiciary did not erode completely.

The CJN reportedly took his turn after Mahmood to explain his disavowal with the initial suspension call by the NBA.

A source on NBA side told the Nigerian Tribune last night that the call for suspension was no longer on the card, since the judges had been recused from cases.

“Both parties softened on the initial hardline positions and tried to get each other to understand their positions,” the source said.

It was also learnt that NJC is now shifting ground to accommodate lawyer-members to participate in consideration for the sanction of judges.

NBA five-man members of the council are usually excused from the second day of the council meetings when sanction of judges is usually considered.

They were, however, allowed at the emergency meeting, following the arrest of the affected judges.

The next meeting of the council has been fixed for November 2 and 3.

ABN advert1

Send your press release/articles to: [email protected], Follow us on Twitter: @abnews247 and Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/abiabreakingnews/

For Advert Inquiries: Tele/Whatzapp/++2347013559600

www.abnews247.com

DISCLAIMER:Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ABN TV

For publication of your news content, articles, videos or any other news worthy materials, please send to [email protected]

For Advert and other info, you can call 07013559600 or send a WhatsApp Message to 07013559600

Please drop your comments below

comments

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending